Skip to main content

Herman Neosho Rubicon
School District

Open Enrollment

See What HNR Is About!

We welcome all students and their families to the Herman Neosho Rubicon School District.  We have an outstanding staff that will make your child's educational experience a great one.  We encourage you to consider HNR when making that decision. 



What is Public School Open Enrollment?
Wisconsin’s inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live.  Applications may be submitted to up to three nonresident school districts.


Who may participate in open enrollment? 
Any Wisconsin resident in 4K to grade 12 may apply participate in open enrollment.  Open enrollment for prekindergarten, 4-year-old kindergarten and early childhood education is only available if the child's resident school district offers the same type of program and only if the child eligible for that program is in the resident school district.


How and when may parents apply?
The open enrollment application period is a three-month time frame that begins February 5th and ends at 4:00 pm on April 30th. To read more information check out the details on the DPI Website.  For parents who have missed the regular application deadline for the 2024-25 school year you may submit alternative applications on or after July 1. 

Parents, after July 1st there is only one way to open enroll for the current school year which is through the alternative enrollment application.  Click here to find the Open Enrollment Application link to begin filling out the online application .


Are there any exceptions to the open enrollment period?
Parents may apply for an exception under one of the following circumstances:

  • The student’s parent and the nonresident and resident school districts agree that attending the nonresident school district is in the best interests of the student.
  • The student’s resident school district determines that the student is a victim of a violent crime.
  • The student is or has been homeless in the current or preceding school year.
  • The student has been the victim of repeated bullying or harassment that has been reported to the resident school district and continues in spite of action taken.
  • The student’s place of residence has changed due to the parent’s military orders.
  • The student moved into this state within the past 30 days.
  • The student’s place of residence has changed as a result of a court order or custody agreement, or the student was placed in a foster home or with a person other than the student’s parent, or removed from a foster home or the home of a person other than the student’s parent.


For any further questions, please contact our District Office at 920-625-3531.